Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Road Trip 2011

So, before I can tell you the story of my past week I need to fill you in on the situation. I hinted at this situation, but never explained it because not everyone knew about it yet, and I didn't feel that it was my place to share. But, about 3 weeks ago now my husbands best friend was injured in Iraq. His truck hit an IED (roadside bomb) and he took shrapnel to his head and face. Thanks to a fabulous medic (my Jake) and some really great hospital staff in Iraq and Germany, Josh is going to recover fully. He does have a long road ahead of him but he has his beautiful, loving wife by his side. Josh's wife, Abby is one of my closest friends from this whole deployment, and with Jake becoming so close to Josh we have bonded as couples even though we were separated from each other. SO now that you understand the situation, here is what I have been up to this week:

  Last Friday a bunch the wives/significant others from Jake's unit got together and went on a dinner cruise on Lake Michigan. We had been planning this event for at least a month, and Abby was so bummed that she couldn't go because she was in Germany at the hospital with Josh (she was very glad to be by his side for his surgeries and everything, but it was hard being there alone, knowing all her friends were out getting dressed up and going out) So, another amazing Army Wife, Carlie and I put our heads together, and made it so Abby could come with us.


Carlie and I just hanging out with Abby :)


Abby whispering sweet nothings into Carlie's ear




Of course the captain had to take the prettiest girl on the boat out for a spin around the dance floor!


Abby, you be JFK and I'll be Marilyn Monroe


The next day after the cruise (I spent the night at Carlie's) Carlie and I were laying in bed discussing the fact that we had just found out that Abby and Josh had arrived safely to Walter Reed, but that they were having an awful time with the staff there. I semi-jokingly said "I wish we could just go visit her" then we both just looked at each other with that "i'm serious if you're serious" look, and that is how Road Trip 2011 came about. After getting the support of our husbands, we drove all night (so that Carlie's 21 month old daughter could sleep the whole way) and got to Washington DC at around 6:00 am Sunday morning, we checked into the hotel, showered and then called Abby and said "how would you like to have breakfast with your 2 favorite army wives" she was confused as to where we were at first, then so surprised that we drove all the way out there to see her! I'm so glad that we were able to make the trip, and be there with Abby during some of Josh's procedures, and just help keep her spirits up. We are pretty sure that staff there thinks that we are sister wives, and that Josh is married to all three of us. I suppose it would be confusing, but it was really funny that the doctors never quite understood which "wife" to talk to. 


Our fortune cookie on the way out of town, it knew!!!


Don't worry, Gracie drove through the night and got us there safely!


Gracie was exhausted after teaching Josh how to take care of her baby doll


We're so pretty :)


Happy to be together 


This time I'm JFK and Abby's Marilyn Monroe


We love each other


Carlie and Abby, aren't they pretty?

I'm so glad we were able to be with Abby for a little while, I wish I could stay there with her. It is so unfortunate that they are getting such poor care at Walter Reed, and all I can hope is that if it truly does close in 30 days like they say it is going to, they get moved to a much better facility with doctors and nurses that care much more about their patients than at walter reed. Josh is an american hero, wounded for this nation, and he is being treated like crap where he is. That just infuriates me! Please pray for the continued recovery of Josh Davis, as well as better care for him and his family, and for the safe return of our remaining soldiers overseas!

2 comments:

  1. That is Great that you all could go visit & lift her spirits! That is truly what our Battle buddies are here for- way to GO!! I hope her husband recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so sorry to hear that your hubby's friend was hurt, but so thankful to hear he will be okay. you guys seem like AMAZING girlfriends-- every girl needs a friend like you! :) loving your pictures by the way.

    ReplyDelete