Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day from an Army Wife

My husband is a soldier. He leaves for long periods of time, and I don't get to do the regular everyday things that other people get to do with their husbands. And just because I can make it through long (very long) periods of time without him, does not mean I love my husband any less than any other wife does.  I am a different kind of wife, I only have a handful of ways to show him I love him. So on this valentine's day, I would like to share with you a few ways (in no particular order) that I have found you can show love to your husband, even when he's far away.
1. Care Packages/letters- you don't have to do anything crazy or extravagant, something homemade or hand written goes a long way, just putting in the time means a lot.
2. Words of encouragement- remind him how proud you are, and how much you appreciate all that he does for you.
3. Words of trust- These are for things you say to others, don't speak harshly or say anything rude or hurtful about your significant other when speaking to your friends, even if these words are never heard by the other person, they damage your relationship in irreparable ways.
4. Take care of yourself- one of the hardest things for Jake to know is that I am having a hard time, so by doing things for myself, and keeping myself happy, I am showing him honor and respect (I am showing care to the one he loves while he is not here to do it himself)
5.  Emails- this goes along with the letters and the words of encouragement

No comments:

Post a Comment